Donald Trump: No Cents Stamp
My father passed away in 2015 and he left me his stamp collection. My father’s collection was is a state of disarray and I was trying to preserve it while listening to the 2016 presidential debates on television. I found myself looking at images of Franklin, Jefferson, and Washington, but listening to the rhetoric of Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. Like many others, I felt politically stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Frustrated by the lack of common sense from both parties I realized many of our problems aren’t going to be solved from the top down. From immigration to North Carolina’s own House Bill 2, I realized that I needed to use my design skills (and voice) to become more politically, socially, and culturally engaged—this stamp was my first step in doing so.
I asked my friend Bizhan Khodabandeh to collaborate on the stamp you see above. Our stamp was featured on boingboing.net and suddenly I had a ton of orders from all over the United States, Australia, Canada, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, the United Kingdom, etc. During this time, I also began learning about other “protest stamps” including one of my favorite stamps designed by Japanese-Americans in internment camps which simply reads “We are Americans.”
If you are offended by this stamp, please accept my apologies. However, if my message resonates with you, then please consider purchase some of my “No Cents” self-adhesive stamps or share my site with others.
AWARDS & PUBLICATIONS
- 100 Best Pieces of 2017 Creative Quarterly: The Journal of Art & Design held an international juried competition in the areas of fine art, graphic design, illustration, and photography. Winners of the quarterly contest are advanced to the end of the year competition where a panel selects the top twenty-five finalists in each of the four categories. My piece was selected as one of the top twenty-five graphic design solutions of 2017.
- Published in Creative Quarterly: The Journal of Art & Design. (2017). 100 Best 2017. New York, NY: Artisanal Media, LLC.
- Award of Excellence: Graphic Design. Creative Quarterly: The Journal of Art & Design • New York, NY
- Published in Hannam, B. (2017). Donald Trump Stamp. Creative Quarterly: The Journal of Art & Design, (47-48), 37-38.
- 2017 American Graphic Design Award: Letterhead & Stationery category. Graphic Design USA • New York, NY
- Silver Winner: Graphic Design category. International Design Award (IDA) • Los Angeles, CA
- Published in the International Design Awards. (2018). IDA Design Awards. Los Angeles, CA: Farmani Group.
Graphic Designer & Illustrator: Ben Hannam
Illustrator: Bizhan Khodabandeh